Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dominican Republic



The Dominican Republic is truly an up and coming destination for lovers of the Caribbean! This past May, I stayed at the Dreams Resort, Punta Cana. The Dominican Republic offers a variety of resorts on various parts of the island. Dreams was a fantastic place to stay. The only downfall being it is far from the airport. If you are traveling with kids, that last hour on a bus on bumpy roads can be a killer after a long plane ride! However, once you walk into their beautiful open-air lobby, grab a drink from the bar and look out at the beautiful grounds; you will forget the bus ride! Dreams has a fantastic kids program full of activities and complete with a pirate ship and water slide in their Kids Area! Their staff bends over backwards to entertain and your kids will not be bored!


The island has several excursions; ranging from adventure to cultural. You can visit the historic city of Santo Domingo, where Christopher Columbus first landed. I would highly suggest the Zip Line tours. My friend, Suzanne, and I went and had a ball! There was even a very young girl, age 3, that went and LOVED it! I asked her father why she wasn't scared. He said, "We teach our kids fear. I try to introduce her to things, so she won't be afraid. You should see her surf!" Such wise words. I came home determined to take my kids at the first opportunity!

No comments: